We’re right here in your back yard ! Our new offices are located in the Weddington and Stallings area. Call a trusted local Weddington roofing company. With over 40 years experience, we are still a family owned and operated business. We also offer roofing repair & installation services in nearby Wesley Chapel, Marvin, and Waxhaw.
Call us: 704-821-5703
Ask about our family referral program. Being in business for over 40 years means we have likely replaced the roof on your grandma’s house, repaired a spot on Aunt Nelly’s roof, and yes, we fixed 3 of your cousins’ roofs after the hail storm damage of 2011. As the fourth oldest roofing contractors & company in Charlotte, we pride ourselves on the high number of return customers and word-of-mouth referrals.
Call us today and ask for the family referral discount.
Roof repairs and replacements can be very costly. No one could blame you for trying to save a few bucks here and there. Obtaining multiple bids for roof work can be a helpful way to find the right roofing contractor for the best price. But what should your decision be based upon? The lowest roofing bid always looks the most attractive, period. But how low is too low? A roofing bid that’s low for the wrong reasons can wind up costing you a lot more in the long run if it fails prematurely. Here’s what to look out for when you are offered a low roofing bid.
Generic, Poor-Quality Roofing Materials
Watch out for roofing contractors who offer low bids by selling YOU low-quality roofing materials. Using low-quality, generic roofing materials is a way to offer a low cost up front on a roof that will look fine until the shingles begin to fail shortly thereafter. Always ask who manufactured your roof shingles and how long the warranty lasts. Additionally, request that your roofing shingles be wind resistant, algae resistant, and impact resistant to avoid outside influences that could cause premature roof failure.
Underhanded Business Tactics
Roofing contractors can also save money by ignoring the costs it takes to run a safe and professional roofing business. They may not keep the proper insurance, leaving the liability on the homeowner. They may not have obtained proper licensing. They may not have the proper safety procedures in place. Always ask to see verification of license and insurance, and ask questions about their business practices. Also, be wary of a roofing contractor who does not have a physical address. This could be an indication of a fly-by-night contractor who could disappear at the first sign of a problem.
Remember, nothing is final until it is in writing. A roofing contractor may offer a low bid up front, only to raise the price after the project has been started. This is especially true if your existing roof layer(s) have already been torn off, as this tactic leaves the homeowner with few options. Always make sure you have a detailed estimate of all labor and material costs in writing before work begins.
A good rule of thumb is that you should always ask questions about roofing bids that are 15% more or less than the other roofing bids you obtain. A roofing contractor with a solid reputation using high-quality, industry proven roofing materials will cause you far fewer headaches in the long run.
Charlotte’s weather is rough, which makes annual inspection and maintenance essential to the upkeep of your home. Because your roof is exposed to such harsh conditions, you should perform a yearly visual inspection to extend the life of your roof, which will help avoid expensive repairs or early replacement. Below is a basic guide to roof maintenance.
- Remove debris from the surface of the roof. Dirt and debris have the potential to hold water that will hasten the deterioration of
the roof. Remove debris near all roof mountings such as HVAC units, vent pipes, and pitch pans.
- Clean out and water flush gutters.
- Check flashing for deterioration and holes and repair or replace if necessary.
- Check for bumps or blisters on the roof. If blisters are present, don’t step on or puncture them in any way, and contact a qualified roofing maintenance contractor.
- Check the caulking and sealant on your flashing and coping. Remove caulking that is damaged or cracked and clean the area thoroughly, using a wire brush. Reapply a polyurethane/roofing caulk.
- Check mortar on the chimney and parapet walls check between the bricks as well as the top. If you see any damage, you’ll need to have it pointed.
- Walk the perimeter of your home to check for any dead tree limbs or other debris. that could become airborne in the event of inclement weather. Remove or secure these items to ensure they do not become airborne in the event of inclement weather.
- Finally, watch for leaks in the roof and have them repaired immediately. Allowing holes or cracks to leak may cause dangerous mold as well as structural damage.
Weather can be brutal in Charlotte. Roofing maintenance is necessary to protect the inside of your home from the elements outside. If you notice any major damage or feel that necessary repairs are required, contact a qualified Charlotte roofing contractor for an estimate.