Charlotte’s weather is rough, which makes annual inspection and maintenance essential to the upkeep of your home. Because your roof is exposed to such harsh conditions, you should perform a yearly visual inspection to extend the life of your roof, which will help avoid expensive repairs or early replacement. Below is a basic guide to roof maintenance.
- Remove debris from the surface of the roof. Dirt and debris have the potential to hold water that will hasten the deterioration of
the roof. Remove debris near all roof mountings such as HVAC units, vent pipes, and pitch pans.
- Clean out and water flush gutters.
- Check flashing for deterioration and holes and repair or replace if necessary.
- Check for bumps or blisters on the roof. If blisters are present, don’t step on or puncture them in any way, and contact a qualified roofing maintenance contractor.
- Check the caulking and sealant on your flashing and coping. Remove caulking that is damaged or cracked and clean the area thoroughly, using a wire brush. Reapply a polyurethane/roofing caulk.
- Check mortar on the chimney and parapet walls check between the bricks as well as the top. If you see any damage, you’ll need to have it pointed.
- Walk the perimeter of your home to check for any dead tree limbs or other debris. that could become airborne in the event of inclement weather. Remove or secure these items to ensure they do not become airborne in the event of inclement weather.
- Finally, watch for leaks in the roof and have them repaired immediately. Allowing holes or cracks to leak may cause dangerous mold as well as structural damage.